Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Let Them Eat Cake!

The chickens love being outside. They are starting to really explore the yard. Here is Trace followed by Edith, Xena, Hunca Munca, Daisy, Elroy, and Hyacinth.

Jemima and Trace pecking away. This is the good life!

I fought to keep them out of my tomatoes for a long time. One day I decided to let them have their cake and eat it too. They seem to be addicted and strangely attracted to my tomato plants. I have a hard time keeping them away. It is mostly because of these two instigators~ Elroy and Trace. Here they are having almost eaten a whole green tomato.

Here is the view from above. Another fellow has joined them. Mind you, they have to jump up and down to reach this tomato. They don't mind. Bring on the challenge! After devouring this one they have been jumping trying to get one that is even higher up the vine. Oh, my! What have I done?

Most everyone sticks together. These girls and boys are hanging out eating my squash and enjoying the shade from their leaves.

What naughty chickens! I still shoo them away. I try anyway. I can't blame them for liking the good stuff. I might have to fence in my veggies. I don't want to. We'll see how long I can take it.

Stay tuned..... they move into the coop soon!


1 comment:

Emily said...

Very exciting. I can't believe how big they are. We will have to plan a time to drop by and see them. Besides, that would give us an excuse to catch up, not that we need one. :)

 
Designed by Lena