Sunday, May 9, 2010

Comfort Food

Sometimes you just want a handful of french fries, you know? Well, that is out for me now on this new diet. At least fast food fries. I can still have potatoes. One of my favorite dishes is oven cooked potatoes. They are super delicious and I didn't have to change my recipe! This one will knock your socks off and bring you back for more. That is, if you love potatoes. The spice blend makes the recipe. I was tired of spice blends at the store. You had no clue what was really in them and no control over the salt. I like this because I can use sea salt or real salt.


You will need:
some potatoes of your choice
real salt or sea salt
dried dill
cayenne pepper powder
garlic powder
onion powder
dried mustard
high heat oil

Step one: Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Start with the potatoes of your choice. I have used small red potatoes, yukon gold, baking potatoes. All work well. I like mine cut up in to fairly small bite size pieces. Try to cut them so that they are pretty uniform in size. Now cover them in water then dry them off. Yes, you heard me right. This keeps them from sticking to the pan something awful. Weird huh?

Step two: Coat the potatoes with an oil that can take high heat. I prefer grape seed oil for this. It is light and browns food beautifully.


Step three: Make the seasoning blend. I like to do this in a tiny bowl. You can make this for a big batch or a small batch. I usually make enough for about 3-4 helpings of potatoes.
1tblsp sea salt or real salt
2 tsp dill
2 dashes of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard.
1tsp garlic powder
1tsp onion powder

More cayenne will give you more kick. I wouldn't leave it out though. It is just enough to add some flavor. Mix together well. Sprinkle on potatoes covered in oil and stir.

Step four: Spread on a baking sheet with a lip. Trust me. You don't want oil spilling into the bottom of your oven. Cook for 15-20 minutes then turn the potatoes carefully. Some may be stuck to the pan. Scrape up the good stuck on stuff. That is the best! Then cook then them for another 10 minutes or so, until desired brownness.

Step five: Enjoy! These are even good as left overs.

Maybe this will inspire you to make your own seasoning blend with spices that you love. If you do, please share!!

2 comments:

Jo said...

YUM! Your seasoning blend sounds AWESOME! I'll try that next time I make potatoes. :)

Myrna said...

That sounds right up my alley. I use a recipe for garlic fries from Cooking Light that's really good too if you want to switch it up!

 
Designed by Lena