Saturday, April 3, 2010

Happy Easter!!

Happy Easter!!!! We made it. Well almost. We are off to today NC to celebrate our nephew's first birthday and celebrate one of my favorite holidays! Hallelujah! He is risen. He is risen indeed!

A week ago I wasn't sure if one of my girls was going to make it to Easter. Do you realize we are getting close to their first birthday? We might have to have a big chicken celebration. Anyway, Jemima had been moving slow for a few days. Last sunday we noticed that she had an unusual amount of poo on her hind side. On closer inspection Dave pulled out something unusual from her vent. We kind of freaked out. 

We gave her a quick bath to get the poo off her and then I wrapped her up and held her tight.

Who could resist this face? I was scared. She hadn't been walking around much and I wasn't sure if she had been eating. I hatched Jemima from a little egg!!! She had to stick around.


I held her for awhile, hoping that she was drying off, giving her a chance to rest and know that she was cared for. Not going to lie- I prayed for her too. She started snuggling. I about lost it. Tears were about to fall. My chickens are my pets. They make darn good ones too. 


She kept sticking her beak up my shirt sleeve. Her eye kept closing cause she was so comfy. She kept making sweet little chicken sounds. We finally took her back outside. I talked to a friend who specializes in birds and we determined that she should be ok. She probably had a shell-less egg that was hard to pass or burst inside and made it difficult for her. (~more chicken biology lessons to come~) She moved around slowly for a couple of days, sitting down a lot and not very interested in anyone else. Now she is back to her perky bossy self!! Thank you God! I don't know how I would have handled losing one of my precious girls.

And now for your viewing pleasure, some of the other girls eating yogurt:


From left to right-Pickle with yogurt on her beak, Edith and Daisy digging in.


I love this one of Edith!!! She has no idea that she has a white beak and yogurt sprinkled all over her feathers.

And Edith and Daisy showing off their yogurt covered beaks. 

Happy Easter everyone! I hope that you have a great weekend. And I just have to add~ Welcome spring break. I have been waiting for you for a long time!!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena