Friday, May 30, 2008

Schools Out for Summer!!


School is out! Except for the poor souls who have to go to summer school. I do not envy them. 
I have been wanting to blog for a while and have not been able to find the time. Lots to blog about.


The garden is growing!! Here is a shot of some bean rows. They are at least twice this size now! Everything is starting to sprout, take off, bloom, and fruit. I will take some full garden photos as things fill out. Most of our time has been spent mulching lately. We do a combination of methods. 
First we lay down newspaper
Second wet the newspaper
Third we top the newspaper with mulch
This really hold moisture in the ground and attracts the gardener's friend-worms. It also reduces weeds, time spent weeding and keeps dirt from splashing onto the fruit when it rains. Muddy veggies just aren't as appealing as clean ones!

We have our first blue blueberries. Aren't they beautiful? Hopefully next year we will have loads of them. The smaller variety of blueberry we have is just about to turn. I hope that they are as sweet as these.


I have yet to have some quality friend time while I have a break. It just hasn't worked out. Maybe soon. My friends and Dave were great this week. I was kind of down and emotional. Maybe because summer doesn't hold the joys it did when were kids, I don't know. I decided to take some time for myself and went to see Prince Caspian. I loved it!! Not only were the effects amazing, but I needed the story. A couple of things struck me. First, they kept fighting battles as best they knew how without knowing where Aslan was. And when Aslan showed up, the battle was fought in ways unimaginable!! (trying not to spoil it if you haven't seen it yet) This so reminds me of my walk with God in life. I live my life, sometimes trusting that I know what I am doing because I haven't felt lead by God to do otherwise. Then when He intervenes, does He ever!!! In ways that I would have never guessed. I love that about God. The second thing that struck me was Lucy's faith in Aslan. She knew that he was there even when others doubted and she fell into Aslan when she finally came face to face with him. Not only that, but with great courage she stood with her little dagger, ready to fight, knowing that Aslan was on her side. I feel like that a lot. Mostly like I have this wee little weapon or knowledge, but I am willing to use it!! God is bigger. I love that. I needed a trip to Narnia. It got my head back on straight. 

Today I worked in my own yard, weeding and planting annuals in my front flower bed. The weekend is upon us. My how it came quickly. Soon enough I will be starting another sort of job painting. Maybe the garden vegetables will take over and I will have to quit to sell them in my parents front yard. Just kidding, but one can only hope. 

Here is something that made me giggle last night. Can you see him?

He is rather camouflaged. I watched this neighborhood cat climb the dogwood tree last night. Up, up he went. Then he stopped. I walked outside and thought. "He didn't jump down. Where did he go?" I had to stare at the tree for a few minutes before I spotted him in the highest point of the tree. He was so well camouflaged. I called Dave out and made him look. It was so intriguing. Why did he climb so high? We think he was just playing. After a few minutes he made his way down. Needless to say, I am impressed. 

Well it is almost time for the Friday night ritual-eating Mexican with the fam. I think we have been going to the same restaurant every Friday night for 16 years. Me, my aunt, my cousin, my mom and whoever else shows up. It has grown to include our spouses and close friends. We have time to unwind and groan about the week past or to celebrate the week ahead. Good times. 

Until next time,
 Pray for rain!!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena