Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ramble With Me A While

It has been a while since I have posted and I have a lot to post about! It has been a packed week! I have lots of food to tell you about. I was inspired last Friday to post after I made my first successful scones! I made them to have tea with a friend from out of town. They were so delicious! I made fresh whipped cream to go with them. Yummm!!! I got the recipe for the lemon ginger scones off of the Joy of Baking website. Loads of great scone recipes. The hard part is picking which one to make! Well, we enjoyed the lemon ginger scones. Dave ate his fill of them too. See....don't they look yummy?

On with my weekend. Saturday morning we awoke early. I decided to invite another friend over for breakfast. She had called the night before and told me that she was in town. We had a delightful brunch, complete with scones of course, and visited long into the afternoon. I was wiped out after all of that visiting! I actually napped on Saturday. That normally doesn't happen.

Sunday was filled with a Mother's Day gathering at my sister's. They grilled and everyone else brought the sides. It was great to see everyone. My family loves to eat together. Most everyone was there. The only thing that could have been better was if the wind was not blowing so hard. It was a great time together. We love our mothers!! Oh, after coming home, I took another nap.

Monday and Tuesday were filled with preparing for having friends over Tuesday night. Our friends David & Jennifer and Gary & Judith came over to our house for dinner before we went to see The Swell Season perform at the Cobb Energy Center. I did decide to make the southern food. All of it was a hit! Thanks for eating up guys, but leaving enough leftovers for tonight!

I thought that I would share one of the dishes with you. It is fried okra how my Momma taught me to make it. Here is the beautiful okra sliced in a bowl. It is shiny and slimy looking because I sprinkled it with water to bring out the slime. It is what the breading sticks to. I like to salt and pepper it at this stage as well. Make sure to stir it.
After letting the okra get really slimy I coat it in White Lily Cornmeal. This process can take awhile. You sprinkle on about 1/4 cup of cornmeal at a time, mixing the okra to coat it, this means that it isn't slimy any more. Hands work best for this messy task and with any luck your hands aren't too slimy either. I like to finish mine off with a bit of flour to fill in any gaps that the cornmeal leaves. 
Now you are ready for frying!! Load those babies in a pan, add some oil and turn up the heat! Okra actually takes a while to get nice and brown. Lots of stirring, patience and oil are required, but there is nothing better on a hot summers day! Here is some of the finished product. If I had had more time I would have cooked it until it was almost burnt. That is how I like it anyway.

After our belly's were full of all of the yummy food, we went to the concert. It was amazing. If you haven't heard them already check out their The Swell Season myspace page. Such passion, such beautiful music. And if you haven't seen it, watch the movie Once right away! They are the movie. I mean they act in the movie and perform some of their music. Anyway, It was a beautiful night with beautiful friends. We stayed up really late for a work night and loved every minute of it - pianos clanging, teenage girls swooning, lights blaring. Did I mention that the sound at the Cobb Energy Center was outstanding? Well it was. 

Thank you friends for a wonderful evening. We must get together more often. I love hosting. Can you tell? I am about talked out. I have more thoughts running through my head, but I will save them for another time. 

No comments:

Designed by Lena