Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Moving right along

I really need to get some pictures up from the garden, but I have been too lazy. Maybe this weekend I will. It is amazing how fast things have grown. Truly the tomato plants grew a foot, the zucchini and squash have babies, the peppers are blooming, and the apples ripened all in a week and a half!! It will be picking time soon. I can't wait!! I did pick one hot hungarian pepper on Sunday. 
I realized that I never elaborated on the manure tea. This is the main fertilizer that we are using on the garden. To make manure tea, we use black cow compost(which is mostly manure, but without the weed seeds) and mix a half a bag with about 5 gallons of water. you can use fresh manure if you have cows, chickens or horses nearby. You might get some weeds. We make a big huge can of it and keep it down at the garden. You let the "tea" steep for a few days, then you water your plants with the water, not the thick mud. After you use some you can add more water and steep again. The plants love it!! The best part is that it won't burn your plants like some fertilizers or manure do. All natural gardening my friends!! Try some in your garden and let me know how it works for you.

1 comment:

Jacoline said...

hey Kara, thanks for the explanation on manure tea!
Do you also have good advice on safe (for my child and cats) methods to get rid of snails and other bugs on my plants and veggies?!
Would be great!

And I can't believe your veggies are growing that fast! I planted way earlier and I don't see signs of stuff to harvest yet. Different climate obviously!

HUG!

 
Designed by Lena